1. Location of collection: Houston, TX
2. Date of collection: 3/26/16
3. Habitat of collection: In a park with about 4-6 ft high plant/shrub.
4. Length (from head to gaster): About 10 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Reddish with black gaster (See photo - unedited)
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Looks like carpenter ant?
7. Anything else distinctive: Collected inside hollow twig
8. Nest description: No nest observed, single queen
There was heavy rain a week before collection date which might have triggered a nuptial flight. I saw some arboreal ants last week which was IDed as Camponotus decipiens. Wonder I have found the queen this time, or another species? Thanks for ID!!!